With the new release of the Subscription Advantage Pack for Map 2011 that includes the new FDO provider for ArcGIS, I thought I'd take a few minutes to list a few troubleshooting tips for making your connections to SDE databases.
First off, congrats for living on the edge and taking a risk. By taking on the challenge of leveraging your GIS data in your CAD environment directly from the GIS repository definitely earns you kudos in my book!
Ok, now down to the good stuff. Here is my Top 5 list for troubleshooting SDE connections from Map:
1) Is your version of SDE supported? The list below is the supported versions of SDE for Map 2011:
*Note: The FDO Provider for ArcSDE included with AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 can be updated with an open source version that will enable connections to ArcSDE 9.2. Visit the OSGeowebsite to download the provider and installation instructions and see the Autodesk technical white paper FDO Data Access Technology - New FDO Providers at www.autodesk.com/fdo for further information.
3) Are the necessary dll files from the ESRI software copied and pasted into this directory?
C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Map 3D 2010\FDO\bin
4) Unsure of server name, instance name, or login credentials?
Common error message when you don't have all 3 of these elements correct:
5) Trying to use a Direct Connect to SDE?
Here is an example of the prep work you need to do to make a successful direct connections to SDE using a SQL Server database. The same process is outlined in the HELP for Map 3D 2011. Please note that this is NOT an option while using the new FDO provider for ArcGIS as parf of the Map 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack, ONLY with the out-of-the box FDO ArcSDE connection.
1. Set up connections to the underlying databases.
Install the SQL Native client software on the client machine where you run AutoCAD Map 3D.
Open the SQL Server port (for example, 1433) on the database machine firewall.
Set the target SQL Server database to support remote connect.
Test your connection to the target database using SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Copy additional DLL files into the fdo\bin directory. Because the connection does not use the separate ArcSDE server process, the client needs additional ArcSDE libraries. These DLL files are available in the ArcSDE SDK.
3. Adjust the connection parameters.
Server name: Specify the server name or the IP address.
Instance name: If you use the default instance of MSSQLSERVER, enter sde:sqlserver:
User name/password: Specify the user name that is valid for the SQL Server database.
Datastore: Enter the datastore name manually, for example, sde.
Version: Enter the version manually. It defaults to the root version if you do not specify the version.
And finally, here are some known limitations while using the SDE connections within Map -
So keep up the great CAD and GIS integration, it's what makes AutoCAD Map 3D such a great tool for CAD and GIS users!