The GIS multimedia tutorials are Macromedia Flash movies. In order to view the movies, you must have the Flash Player installed on your local machine. Your system must also meet some minimum specifications in order to optimally run the movies. The necessary requirements and suggested specifications are outlined below. Click on the links for more detailed information. If you have any questions about the tutorials, please contact the FEMA Map Information eXchange (FMIX) at 1-877-FEMA MAP.
Minimum Requirements and Specifications
- Flash Player
- Internet Explorer 3.0 / Netscape 3.0 or higher
- Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher
- Pentium 133 MHz or higher; sound card; speakers; 56K modem or higher
- Adobe Reader®
- Tell-A-Friend Feature
- Review Tutorial User Guide (optional)
If your system meets the requirements listed above and you have reviewed the tutorial specifications, you are ready to start the first GIS Tutorial. Click on the icon or the text link below to launch the tutorial. (Please note that, depending on your system, it may take a few minutes to download the tutorial.)
Begin the Tutorial!
[Text equivalent for the Introduction to GIS tutorial]
Requirement and Specification Details
- Flash Player Plug-in: If you are running a Windows 95 or higher machine and do not have the Flash Player installed, please download the plug-in by clicking on the appropriate link under the Download Plug-in section at the bottom of this page. A link is provided from this Web page to other Web Players, including those for Macintosh. If you attempt to access the tutorial and do not have the player, a page will prompt you to download the Flash Player or upgrade if you do not have the latest player installed on your system. Follow the link on the page that is displayed in your browser to Macromedia's site to the download page for the Flash Player.
- Target Browsers: The GIS Tutorial I should run successfully on most Netscape and Internet Explorer browsers. The latest browsers include the Flash Player plug-in. If you have an older browser, you may need to download the plug-in. Again, if you do not have the player, a page will prompt you to download the Flash Player or upgrade if you do not have the latest player installed on your system.
- Screen Resolution: The tutorial can be run at any screen resolution; however, it is recommended that a resolution of 1024 x 768 be utilized for optimal functionality. If you run a lower screen resolution, you will have to scroll in order to view all of the content on each screen.
- Minimum System Requirements: For optimal performance it is recommended that you have a Pentium 133 MHz or higher machine, a sound card, and speakers. A 56K modem or better is recommended to shorten movie download time.
- Install Adobe Reader®: A certificate of completion may be generated at the end of this tutorial. The latest version of the Adobe Reader is required to view this certificate, which is in PDF format. If you do not already have this version of the reader installed on your machine, please download the plug-in by clicking on the appropriate link under the Download Plug-in section at the bottom of this page before running the GIS tutorial.
- Tell-A-Friend Feature: One of the tutorial's features allows users to forward a link to the tutorial to others via e-mail by clicking on the "Tell A Friend" button at the end of the tutorial. This feature may not work successfully with all e-mail clients. As an alternative to using the "Tell-A-Friend" feature, you may choose to send a link to the tutorial directly from your default e-mail client.
- Review Tutorial User Guide: Before starting the tutorial, you may find it useful to review the Tutorial User Guide for more information about buttons and icons used in the tutorial. After reviewing this page, simply hit the "Back" button on your browser to return to this page and click on the link above to start the tutorial.